In 1954, Norman J. Van Epps returned to Owosso after serving in the Army during the Korean War. He began a practice with Thomas Dignan and Lewis Benson. Norman J., Van Epps practiced law with the law firm Dignan, Benson and Van Epps until 1968 when Norman left the firm to start his own practice. Norman Van Epps continued to serve the residents of mid-Michigan as a solo practitioner until his death in 1982.
In 1981, Norman’s oldest son Mark J. Van Epps graduated from Valporaiso Law School. He and Norman formed a partnership that they named Van Epps & Van Epps. Mark has been with the firm since that time, specializing in commercial law and bankruptcy.
In 1984, Matthew J. Van Epps joined the firm after graduating from the Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William and Mary. In 1986, Matthew left the firm for six years and worked as an assistant prosecuting attorney for Shiawassee County. In 1992, Matthew returned to Van Epps and Van Epps and has been with Van Epps and Van Epps ever since. Matthew specializes in the areas of adoptions, family law, criminal law, probate and estate planning.
The firm moved from the Owosso Savings Bank (now Fifth Third Bank) to a few other locations and is now in a refurbished house across from the Owosso Middle School parking lot. The main office is located at 318 North Water Street in Owosso Michigan..
In 2004, the firm opened a satellite office in Port Huron, Michigan. This office handles only bankruptcy cases and is located at 409 Fort Street, Suite C, Port Huron Michigan 48060.